Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Paris to New York

Hi,

Sorry for not posting for a while, have just been quite busy and not properly had time to actually sit down and type out a new post.

Once I got to the gate for my flight to New York it was probably about 10 minutes till we started boarding. which was pretty good actually, as I didn't want to sit around in the airport doing nothing. Especially as I didn't have any € on me, so couldn't buy anything. When in the queue for the gate, they check all your documents and give you the paperwork necessary. Annoyingly, because I am here on a student visa, they want to see every single bit of my paperwork, which meant I had to dig it out of my bag, this resulting in me holding up the queue, but hey it wasn't really my fault.

My seat was relatively near the back of the plane, so i took me a little while to walk down there. But luckily no body was in my row at the time, so the overhead compartment was empty, which meant I had plenty of space to fit my stuff in. However when I sat down it was annoying, the seat was really uncomfortable and my screen was in black and white for some reason. So me being me, I instantly complained to the flight attendant. He said that unfortunately the plane was completely full, so I wasn't able to change seats. However he did give me about 5 cushions to sit on, and assured me that the screen would return to normal once we took off, sure enough it did.

In typical Air France style we departed late. But the take off was fine and we were soon in the air. They soon started serving drinks, which was very nice actually. As this was my last chance to have a legal drink I decided to go for the champagne, wine and beer!! which amazingly they didn't mind giving me them all at the same time. Food was meant to be served straight after this. But we started to encounter some pretty bad turbulence. I loved every moment of this, because I am very weird and like the turbulence :). Once this was over they did re-commence the food service.

Now I wasn't really expecting much from this, as I had read some pretty bad things in the past about the service and food on Air France flights. But actually it was probably one of the best plane meals that I have ever had. There was plenty of it, including; past, chicken curry, soup, desert and then some nice camembert.

I then watched a couple of films, had a little nap and then we were starting to descend into New York. Now I didn't have a window seat which was rather annoying, but luckily I could still kind of see out of the window. On our appraoch I was on the left hand side of the plane, so was able to see the New York skyline including the Empire State Building.

Passing through immigration and customs was actually pretty easy. I was expecting it to take quite a while, but it didn't, so that was nice. I collected my bags, and then proceeded to make my way to the AirTrain and Subway.

It took me ages to get to where I needed to on the subway. I think next time I will definitely take the LIRR then the Subway, as it is meant to be a lot quicker, even though it is slightly more expensive. I found m hostel pretty easily after originally taking the wrong exit from the subway, but then a guy at a different hotel helped me find where I needed to go. I checked in, dropped my stuff off, grabbed something to eat, checked my emails watched some tv, then went to bed, as I knew I had to be up early in the morning to get to Newark airport.

Next time I'll let you all know about getting from New York to Bloomsburg.

Jarvis x

No comments:

Post a Comment