Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home to Paris

Well as I'm sure most of you know, I left the UK on Thursday 26th August. I know that's a few days ago and I should have started this before that, but I have been relatively busy, and so just haven't had time, plus problems with the internet which I will get onto later.

So my parents kindly took my to Heathrow on Thursday. My flight was not till 12:50pm but that still meant leaving home at around 8am as I had to check-in at the airport due to not being able to do it online. We got to the airport fine with only minor hold up along the M25, which is to be expected I suppose. Check-in went fine even though it was a trainee member of staff and she got all confused when my booking said I was only allowed to take one item of hold baggage yet I had turned up with two. But after a while she worked it out and my bags were on their way to the plane. I then had Nero with my parents, said bye to them and made my way through security.

Security was surprisngly quiet at Terminal 4 at 11am, I was expecting to have to queue, but no I went straight through. Terminal 4 is incredibly boring. So I just spent the time that I had to wait watching the planes land on the south runway, listening to my iPod and saying goodbye to some people on the phone. My flight to paris was called over the tannoy at about 12pm so I headed to the gate and waited to board.

Boarding then commenced as scheduled at 12:25 and I went through onto the plane to have my first experience of Air France. The plane wasn't really the best, and was actually living up to all the bad comments that I had heard about Air France. Then for some reason, the guy next to me decided that he was going to make a phone call to a shop and purchase a TV right there and then. He even gave out his credit card details. He was just lucky that I wasn't taking down all the details and was going to use the card to make a load of purchases.

Heathrow itself was actually pretty busy on Thursday, so we ended up pushing back from the gate late and taking off about 40 minutes late. By which time I was starting to worry about missing my connection in Paris as I knew I only had 1.5 hours in Paris. I had a window seat on the plane, so it meant that I would not be bored and could look at the scenery on the way over.

Almost as soon as we were up in the air they started to serve drinks. Perfect time for me to have some alcohol for what may be 5 months!! So I took a bottle of wine and also a soft drink :). Along with some snacks that they were giving out. Then almost immeadietely the captain announced that we were making our decent into Paris. In total the flight was only 45minutes, so this saved us some time. Except when we then landed we were told that we were going to Terminal 2F as opposed to 2E where we were meant to be going, and also where my flight to New York was going from. Luckily it only took about 15/20 minutes to get there and go through more security checks.

So I am now in Paris airport. Next time I will tell you about my trip from Paris to the hostel in New York.

Jarvis x

No comments:

Post a Comment